Tuesday, December 7, 2010

New Christmas Tradition?

This year the popular thing for kids is the Elf on the Shelf (it was popular last year but we gave in this year). Here is the excerpt from the website explaining this Elf:

The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition is an activity the entire family will enjoy. Based on the tradition Carol Aebersold began with her family in the 1970s, this cleverly rhymed children's book explains that Santa knows who is naughty and/or nice because he sends a scout elf to every home. During the holiday season, the elf watches children by day and reports to Santa each night. When children awake, the elf has returned from the North Pole and can be found hiding in a different location. This activity allows The Elf on the Shelf to become a delightful hide-and-seek game.

I picked Carlee up after work and told her I had received a special package for her. She opened it and we read the book together. I tried to explain the Elf and was hoping she'd partake in this activity. I was skeptical because she wants nothing to do with Santa. When I tell her that Santa brings her presents she says "I don't want any presents!" When we were hanging up our stockings and I was telling her Santa puts stuff in her stocking she said "What? He comes IN my house?" This kid is afraid of Santa and could care less if he brought her any presents. So would she care about an elf that was supposed to report back to Santa if she was naughty or nice? It was worth a try. 

Once we got the Elf out of the package and read the book, it was time to name him. She wanted to name him Carlee or Uncle Dien. I told her he needed his own name. She said Joshua. (Joshua is a friend at school but its also the name of our Elf now.)


We put Joshua on the table and left him there for the evening. I had made a comment to her asking if she wanted her elf to tell Santa she's been bad. She replied, "No, I want YOU to tell Santa I've been bad." Ok, that didn't go as planned. We went about our evening and right before bed, Carlee said to Joshua "Good night Joshua! I've been a good girl." Maybe this will work. 

Then in the morning we woke up and Carlee found him in the tree...
Carlee was asking about him flying back to see Santa while she was sleeping. Maybe she will finally buy into the whole Santa bit. I'm still working on a mall Santa pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment