Wednesday, February 8, 2012

New Year, New Fitness Goals

Like many people, when the new year rolled around I said I needed to get back on track with the diet and exercise. I hadn't strayed too far, but with all the food and baked goods around the holidays I wasn't exactly strict with my diet either. I quickly got back into my routine that I had been doing for the last 10+ months. Then my friend told me how he started doing crossfit. I had heard about crossfit but didn't know much about it. He encouraged me to try it out. 

Now after two weeks of crossfit, I was thinking of where I was a year ago in regards to fitness. This time last year was right before I started working out with a trainer (March 1st) and before I ran my first ever 5k (end of March). In the last year, I've lost 30 lbs, I ran six 5k's, did 2 mud runs, and have learned a lot about the fitness competing industry.

This year my goal is to continue my diet (basically the paleo diet) and exercise and hopefully get more lean (it'd be nice if I could actually get abs). I think including crossfit into my workout regime will be good for a change of pace and to get my cardio in. I also like the close knit family feel of the "box" (a crossfit gym). Everyone is supportive and encouraging and it's just a fun environment... when I'm not wanting to pass out from a workout. Carlee even likes it. She can do a burpee and tries to do push ups. When we left the box the other night she asked if she could hear the song that was playing in the gym. I told her I didn't know which song she was talking about. She said "Moves like Jagger!" Maybe she just likes the music from crossfit.

I also signed up for four 5k's this year. Its a Quadruple Crown series of races where I'll get a medal at the end for completing all four. I only do the races for the medals... kind of. I dislike running and do not do it as a form of exercise but doing a race is different. Its fun and your adrenaline is going. I'd like to do a few of the other 5k's I did last year also, like the OC Fair 5k and the Wet-n-Wild 5k. 

We'll see how this year shapes up, but I'm striving for a healthier, leaner self. It will be interesting to see where I am in a year from now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment