Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My First Run

I've been trying to take my fitness to the next level. Back in January I signed up to do a 5k in May. I figured that'd give me enough time to "train" for it. I've never been good at running. I hate doing any kind of cardio but I figured running will be beneficial to my weight loss and help me push through my plateau. 

When looking through the local recreation catalog for classes for Carlee, I saw an advertisement for the city's 5k/10k run/ walk. It was just 3 weeks away. Without hesitation, I went online and registered. I figured it would be good practice. And if all else fails, I could just walk it. But my goal was to finish it and run the whole thing. A 5k or 3.1 miles may not seem like much to some people, but trust me... it would be an accomplishment for me.

For days leading up to the race I would get more and more nervous (calling it a "race" just made me nervous). I had never done a 5k, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was nervous because I didn't want to roll my ankle or something along those lines. The night before the race, Carlee was getting ready to go to her dad's and I was telling her about me running in the morning. Her reply, "Mommy, I want to be there. I want to be your cheerleader." She knows just what to say sometimes!

The morning of the race I woke up early and headed to check in. Having never done one before I realized I didn't have to get there right when registration opens. I had more time to sit and wait (and get anxious). My mom and brother came to support me, so I was able to visit with them before the race. 

Then it was time to line up. I joined the crowds of people and found a spot. Then realized I was in the area for 6 minute mile runners. Oh no. That's not me. So I moved back a bit. Then we were off! It took me 30 seconds to even get to the start line because there were so many people. But then the people quickly spread out. I felt like I was off to a decent start aside from the beginning of the route being uphill. Then my pants started to slip down. You've got to be kidding me, I thought. I spent the first mile pulling my pants up. I guess it took my mind off the physical demand of running. 

Then I hit the mile marker and everything magically got better. I was running downhill. My pants got situated or they were on my hips, all I know was that they weren't bothering me anymore. And I seem to get into a groove. Also when I hit the one mile spot, I thought "That went by quick. I'm a third of the way done. This isn't so bad." And honestly the next two miles were easier than the first. But don't get me wrong, I was ecstatic to see the finish line and drop off my j-chip. I met my mom and brother and then we left. 

My goal was complete.

I plan on doing more 5k's in the future. My friend wants me to run a half marathon with her. Wait, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Baby steps.

3 comments:

  1. You go girl! I will get out there one day with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so proud of you. The first mile IS definitely worse than the next two!!!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete