Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Giving Back

I have always wanted to "give back". Volunteer, donate, do something. But I have never followed through. This year it was really weighing on me. I've had my share of struggles as a single mother but those are nothing compared to what some people have to endure. I'm pretty fortunate for what I have, so giving back in any way possible was important to me. When I had the opportunity to work a food drive, I jumped on the chance. Giving up two hours of my time is the least I can do. So last night I headed down to Ralph's grocery store to help out.

 Ralph's, KTLA, Second Harvest Food Bank, and others teamed up to put on this food drive. I didn't know what I was going to be doing. When I arrived the previous shift volunteer informed me I would be standing in front of the store handing out the flyers and asking the customers entering the store to participate in the food drive. Oh man, I thought I am the wrong person for this. I'm not the pushy, salesperson type although I know it was for a good cause. But I sucked it up and did it anyway. I had people blow me off or avoid me like the plague when they say me with flyers in hand. But there were those that donated... eager to do it, did it with no complaints, and donated generously too and that it made it all worth it. 

One little old lady told me "Bless you for what you do." I felt so guilty because she didn't know I was only volunteering for 2 hours. But it did make me want to be more involved and donate more of my time. Overall, it was an experience and I'm glad to have been a part of it. (A small part, but a part).





                                     ***********************************************

We also had the opportunity to sponsor a child through Carlee's preschool. The children you could sponsor live in Mexico and are in need of clothes, shoes, diapers, etc. We had picked up our sponsor's information card and went shopping for Nancy, a 1 year old little girl.

I explained to Carlee that we were buying a present for Nancy so she has something nice to open on Christmas and how we have to wrap it and take it to school so it can get to her. Now she talks about her present for her friend "Antsy" at school.

Buying an outfit, shoes, and diapers weren't much to me, but I'm hoping it will mean a lot to those parents and to Nancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment